Sunday, May 31, 2009

5 tracks on my itunes, explaining myself (my fave Nu Metal tracks!)


Yep, thats right. I've decided the first thing i want to do is start a segment on the blog where i fritter away all of the music cred i should have, in favour of making myself the brunt of the joke. Ahh, self-loathing, my dearest friend. Anyways, this week is the much maligned Nu metal genre, and maligned for a good reason. Nu Metal sucks harder than Paris Hilton browsing in Godfreys. But within every lump of coal/shit it is possible to find a diamond/peanut, or at least 5 decent tracks.

1. Sevendust - Waffle - Sevendust i am legitimately unashamed to have in my expansive itunes library, they kind of rock. And this track from the 1999 release Home was my favourite song for about a year. A legitimately rocking track, creepy intro is there, funky rythym section and great vocals from Lajon Witherspoon make this a song i listen to this day.

2. Korn - Blind - Yeah i put a Korn song in, Fuck You! This is off the first Korn album, when they were a little less produced, sounds grimey and dirty, which is how they should sound. And of course theres the weird kick drum sounds and the bass strings barely tuned high enough to stay on the guitar. Classic.

3. Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies) - Personally, i dont think of the Deftones as part of the Nu Metal scene, i group them with Alternative Metal greats like Tool and SOAD. But it seems like people are determined to call them Nu Metal, and if thats so they have to be the best Nu Metal band there ever was. Creepiest song ever. Chino's vocals seem like their dripping out of the speakers and those great droning Deftones guitars are there in full force. Sam will appreciate this.

4. Spineshank - Consumed (Obsessive Compulsive) - Spineshank ruled. They just did. They were harder than most and had the whole industrial thing going without making it a gimmick (im looking at you Static X). This track feels hard, growling is involved which is welcome, great drumming and Santos's vocals are impressive. Check out his metalcore outfit Silent Civilian, they're pretty good.

5. Mudvayne - World So Cold - Probably the gayest song on the list. Mudvayne are a mixed bag, their albums generally contain alot of filler. This little gem however is the closest nu metal ever got to epic. Its pretty much their attempt at a bohemian rhapsody or a November Rain. I believe he even raps at one point. Whats that about? But its still awesome. Great live band with an impressive rythym section.

I feel so dirty. Im gonna go and have a chemical shower, ill see you guys later.

3 comments:

  1. Deftones are definitely Nu Metal! I loved 'Change in the House of Flies' for about a year. Once I saw them filed under Alternative/Indie at JB- that was a mistake, but I think we can safely put them on the Nu Metal shelf, and foret about them. They haven't release anything decent in a long time. I think the whole Nu Metal genre can be forgotten actually, particularly since in it resides Linkin Park. No more needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, i think it would be awesome if we were the only two people who read and commented on our blog. I actually quite like Saturday night wrist and i really like white pony. I didnt used to but i have grown. I'd label them alternative metal coz they dont necessarily fit into the strict mould that nu metal has set out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh by the way, I hope that wasn't your iPod!

    ReplyDelete